College Financial Aid & Scholarships

Types of Financial Aid

  • Grants/Scholarships - do not need to be repaid
  • Workstudy - program to help students earn money while in school
  • Waived Fees
  • Book Vouchers
  • Scholarships
  • Loans - must be repaid
Many people don't realize that they qualify for Financial Aid benefits, so it is recommended that everyone apply.

FAFSA Information

The 2022-23 FAFSA becomes available on October 3, 2022 and must be completed by March 1, 2023 (in order to be eligible for a Cal Grant and receive priority for free tuition).
Website to complete your FAFSA:
Note: The FAFSA is a "Free Application" so if you are asked to pay a fee, you are not on the official government site. 

To complete your FAFSA, you will need the following:

  • An FSA ID to sign electronically (Click on link to learn how to create an ID)
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
 Need help? Please see video below or contact your school counselor at

7_Steps_to_the_FAFSA Card Icon7 Steps to the FAFSATop of Page

Top of Page

  • Answers to Common Questions About the FAFSA
  • Dependent or Independent? - Most high school students will be considered dependents regardless of whether or not parents are willing to help pay for college. If you are unsure of your status, check out this form.
  • Who Is My Parent? - Help in identifying whose financial information to use.

What does completing the FAFSA do for me?

In addition to qualifying you for federal and state financial aid, many schools also use your FAFSA information to qualify you for their institutional aid. Here is some information on the types of aid available: 

CA Dream Act

If you are a non-resident of the U.S., you may be eligible for Financial Aid through the California Dream Act.